We are seeking a highly motivated and energetic Assistant Corporate Counsel to join our legal team. This individual will be responsible for proactively mitigating the company’s legal risk, analyzing, managing, addressing and seeing through to completion legal matters particularly relating to employment, transportation, and contractual issues, including litigation.
Total Quality Logistics (TQL) is a multi-billion dollar leader in the third-party logistics industry. Its fast-paced, energetic sales model and state-of-the-art technology have propelled it from a Cincinnati startup to one of the largest freight brokerage firms in North America. Motivated employees from coast to coast help to arrange thousands of truckload freight movements every day. Fierce dedication to the company’s winning principles – integrity, honesty and teamwork – gives TQL the edge to continually exceed the expectations of its employees, customers and carriers, and makes this a company people are proud to be associated with. Do you have what it takes?
- Provide hands-on counsel to all management staff on general and specialized legal matters including litigation, transportation law, employment law, commercial contracts, and corporate governance.
- Provide analysis and guidance on matters relating to pursuing and/or defending litigation, including discussing strategies with internal and external counsel.
- Oversee and coordinate litigation matters, including discovery efforts between TQL and external counsel.
- Work with third party administrators in tracking, reporting and managing claims and claims-related litigation from start to finish.
- Review, analyze, and help manage insurance-related claims, including worker’s compensation claims in states where TQL has offices.
- Review, analyze and advise business segment on risks relating to insurance coverages and applicability to claims.
- Offer legal advice and support regarding various collections and claims issues.
- Collaborate with the various departments to review issues, including cargo claims, evaluate legitimacy and provide legal advice as to how to proceed.
- Develop innovative solutions that mitigate legal risk in a manner that supports TQL objectives and priorities.
- Distill complex legal principles to understandable form, apply and implement in business setting.
- Develop, contribute to, and maintain corporate policies and procedures ensuring compliance with applicable statutes and regulations.
- Perform other legal duties based upon new opportunities that arise within TQL.
- Juris Doctorate from accredited law school.
- Admission to state bar association(s).
- At least 3-5 years of legal experience in a major law firm or corporate law environment.
- Knowledge and experience in reviewing, analyzing, participating in, and managing various types of litigation.
- Excellent business acumen and judgment.
- Ability to understand business needs and place legal risk in proper business context.
- Strong client management skills.
- Proven ability to cultivate and maintain positive working relationships with leadership, and both internal and external counsel.
- Admirable influencing and persuasive skills.
- Superb research, drafting, and negotiating skills.
- Aptitude to effectively deal with difficult, sometimes contemporaneous situations.
- Proactive self-starter with the ability to work independently.
- Professional team player comfortable to work with all levels of business.
- Flexible, go-getter attitude willing to tackle additional projects as opportunities arise.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, and Outlook.
What we prefer but do not require:
- Knowledge of the transportation industry.
Total Quality Logistics is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, genetic information, disability or protected veteran status.
If you are unable to apply online due to a disability, contact recruiting at firstname.lastname@example.org.